This is a great, healthier alternative to splashing out on a Nando’s and can be done all in 1 pan. Piri Piri seasoning is cheaply available in most supermarkets nowadays, and will last for ages in your cupboard. Although I’m a huge fan of olive oil, this recipe uses coconut oil, which is delicious and a great source of monounsaturated fats. It is expensive to buy, but see it as an investment; I promise it will last you a while. Serving the chicken with a stir fry is an unusual combination and certainly not authentic, but I think it works brilliantly. Let me know what you think!Ingredients
- 1 Chicken Breast (skin left on if possible)
- 1 tablespoon of Piri Piri Seasoning (or more)
- 1 clove of Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 stick of Lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1cm piece of Ginger, finely chopped
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Leafy Greens (I use Chinese Cabbage)
- 1/2 a Courgette, finely sliced
- 1 Red Onion, cut into quarters
- 1 Red Pepper, finely sliced
- Chilli sauce (optional)
- Rub the chicken breast with half a teaspoon or so of coconut oil and sprinkle over the piri piri seasoning. Use your hands to rub it in nicely.
- Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and add a little more coconut oil. Bring it up to a high heat and lay the chicken in, skin-side down. Don’t touch it for a couple of minutes – let the skin get nice and crispy – and then lower to a medium heat. Continue to fry for 8 to 12 minutes, turning a few times throughout. You can check that the chicken is cooked through by slicing into it.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Add a final teaspoon of coconut oil to the pan and bring the pan back up to a high heat. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger and lemongrass and allow them to infuse the oil for 30 seconds before adding the veg. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir fry for 5 minutes, or until the veg has sufficiently wilted. You want to keep it crunchy.
- Transfer the stirfry to a plate with the chicken to serve. I am a bit of a chilli sauce freak – so this meal wouldn’t be finished without it!