This is one of the nation’s most popular dishes, so I’ve created a version with a student twist. This recipe is a little more expensive than usual, so it is perfect for a Friday night when you’re craving a treat – and it’s about a 1/4 of the price of ordering steak and chips at your nearest Spoons! I’m particularly proud of the chips – they are absolutely kick ass and any student can cook them. Not to mention they only take 18 minutes, which is just as quick as most oven chips. Most importantly of all, enjoy cooking it – it is great fun to cook and just as good to eat!
- 1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of Rosemary, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- 1 Sirloin Steak (Tesco do a great value one: https://goo.gl/LEJSYM)
- 1 Potato
- Salad Leaves
- Combine the chilli, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the steak and coat in all of the flavours, using your hands to rub it in. Leave to marinate on the side whilst you begin your chips.
- Slice your potato into 1cm chips. Add to a saucepan of salted boiling water and boil for 8 minutes. Make sure you don’t overcook them so that they can still hold their shape. Drain and set aside.
- Get a dry frying pan screaming hot and cook your steak. Check out my guide to timings below: my steak in the picture above is cooked medium. Try not to move the steak whilst it is cooking other than to turn it. Once the steak is cooked to your liking, transfer to a plate and allow to rest.
- Rinse the frying pan out, get it back on a high heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Gently place the chips in the pan and fry on a high heat for about 10 minutes, turning regularly to brown all sides. If you make sure that they are all in one layer, they will become amazingly crispy! Transfer to some kitchen paper and pat off any excess oil.
- Slice the steak and serve with the chips and salad. Make sure to spoon over the steak’s resting juices for ultimate flavour.
- Rare: Fry for 1 minute on either side.
- Medium Rare: Fry for 1 minute on either side. Fry for another 15 seconds on either side.
- Medium: Fry for 1 minte on either side. Fry for another 30 seconds on either side.
- Well done: Fry for 1 minute on either side. Fry for another 1 minute on either side.