Here’s another fantastic Friday night comfort food dish. It’s completely worth the effort and will be ready within half an hour! I think that duck is one of the most undereaten foods in our country and this is a fantastic way to celebrate it. The recipe has mega Chinese vibes and is a great dish to impress your mates. Please hit me up with pictures if you give this one a go!Ingredients
- 1 Duck Breast (available at most supermarkets, such as Sainsbury’s: https://goo.gl/7Jr7aV)
- 2 tablespoons of Five-Spice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely sliced
- 1 Red Chilli, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Carrot, unpeeled, finely sliced
- Sprouting Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 1 Spring Onion, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. On a clean chopping board, season the duck with salt, pepper and the five-spice. Rub it in nicely and give it a gentle massage. Grab a cold oven-proof frying pan and place your duck breast in skin-side down. Bring the pan up to a medium heat and fry for 6 minutes, or until the skin is golden and crispy. Turn the duck over and fry the other side for just 30 seconds before transfering the pan to the oven. Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get another frying pan on a low heat with a glug of olive oil. Add the garlic and chilli and allow the flavours to infuse the oil for a minute. Bring the heat up to high, add the carrot and broccoli and fry for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt, add a nice amount of water (to half cover the broccoli) and cover with a lid to cook the veg through for 5 minutes.
- Finally, whip up a quick sauce by drizzling the honey and soy sauce into a bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds. Feel free to make more or less of the sauce if you want to; just use the ratio of 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part honey. It should be hot and glossy.
- After 10-12 minutes, get the duck out of the oven and allow to rest for a couple of minutes. Cut into thick slices and lay lovingly on a plate. Pile up your garlic broccoli and drizzle all over with the incredible sauce. Bless your plate with a sprinkling of spring onion and tuck in!