This recipe is part of my Kick Start 2018 series.
A healthy recipe with FOUR SAUSAGES – what is this wizardary?! This is why I enjoy eating healthily. Recipes like this are loaded with fun and flavour, but are ultimately really good for you. What I love most about this recipe is that the kale is the star of the show. It’s a notorious superfood, but in my opinion, severely misused. It’s all too easy to boil the hell out of it, but that’s not going to be kickass. And in this recipe, kickass is our aim. Cooking it with garlic, chilli and cheddar gives it a flavour and texture like you wouldn’t believe and is miles away from your bog standard greens. You shouldn’t just eat it because it’s good for you – you should eat it because it’s delicious when you cook it well! Give it a go and you’ll never go back.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 4 Pork Chipolatas
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely sliced
- 1 Red Chilli, finely sliced
- 1 Red Pepper, finely sliced
- 200g bag of Curly Kale
- 50g Mature Cheddar, grated
- Chilli Sauce (Optional)
- Cook the chipolatas in the oven according to packet instructions. They’ll probably take around 25 minutes.
- Get a frying pan on a low heat and add the olive oil, garlic and chilli. Gently fry for a couple of minutes to infuse the oil, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Whack the heat up to high and add the red pepper. Fry for 2 minutes before adding the kale. Pour in a drop of water, season with salt and pepper, cover and allow to wilt down for a further 4 minutes. You just want to take the rawness out of it at this stage.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle over the cheddar. Transfer to the oven and bake alongside the sausages for 15 minutes. When the sausages are cooked and the kale is deliciously crispy, plate it up and splash over some chilli sauce, if that’s your jam. Tuck in!