This recipe is part of my Around the World in 28 Days series.
Stroganoff is, without a doubt, one of my favourite meals. The flavours all work so well together and, although many countries have created different variations, we have the Russians to thank for inventing it! This is a quick one – it will come together in less than 15 minutes – and uses a beautiful sirloin steak, but you can use whatever cut you like. I’ve also used sour cream, which I believe is authentic, even if it is a little naughty! It works so beautifully with the rest of the vibes in the dish. I had only ever served stroganoff with rice before writing this recipe, but after trying it with pasta I don’t think I will ever go back. This is definitely one to make to impress your friends!Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Lemon, zested
- 1 Sirloin Steak, 1cm sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Pickled Gherkins, thinly sliced
- 4 Chestnut Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100ml Sour Cream
- 100ml Boiling Water, with a crumbled Beef Stock Cube
- Small punch of Parsley, finely chopped
- 125g Parpadelle or Fettucine
- On a chopping board, gently toss the steak together with the paprika and lemon zest to completely coat it. Get a frying pan on a high heat, drizzle in the olive oil and add the steak. Fry the steak for about 2 minutes, using the tongs to turn. It will begin to go beautifully golden because of the paprika.
- Add the mushroom and fry for a further 2 minutes. Then add the onion and gherkins, frying again for another 2 minutes. Make sure you look after it because it should be frying quite a high heat!
- When the veg has begun to soften, bring the heat down to low and pour in the beef stock. 100ml is a rough guide – use your judgement to make it as saucy or dry as you like. Stir everything together and then plop in the sour cream – our hero ingredient! Gently bring to a simmer and let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes whilst you get ready to eat.
- Boil the pasta in salted boiling water according to packet instructions. When the pasta is ready, place it in a bowl. Stir most of the parsley through the stroganoff and pile it on top of the delicious pasta. Finish with a final sprinkling of parsley and a little lemon zest.
Here’s an idea…
If you REALLY want to treat yourself, get a nice knob of butter and stir it through the pasta before serving. It’s absolutely heavenly.