This recipe is part of my Cheaper than a Ready Meal series.
This recipe is a big, healthy bowl of happiness and sunshine. Sweet and sour chicken is one of the most popular ready meals, but I don’t think people realise how cheap and easy it is to make! My version takes under half an hour and, as well as being much healthier for you, rocks in at £2.30 instead of the £2.50 ready meal. The trick is to use less meat and bulk it out with veg – I promise you won’t be able to tell the difference! It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but if you check out the list, you may have some of them in your cupboard already. If you don’t, get them into your lives ASAP! Soy sauce, honey, vinegar and ketchup are staple ingredients that add layers of flavour to this dish. I can’t wait for you to give this one a go. The kitchen will smell amazing, and you won’t believe how good it tastes! Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, cut into quarters and petals separated
- 1/4 Red Pepper, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1/4 Green Pepper, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1/2 Chicken Breast, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 clove of Garlic, grated
- Small piece of Ginger, grated
- 1 tin of Pineapple Chunks in Juice
- 50g Mangetout, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon of Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Honey
- 1 teaspoon of Red (or White) Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Ketchup
- 80g Brown Rice
- Get a saucepan on a medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onion and peppers and fry gently for 5 minutes to allow them to soften. Add the chicken, garlic and ginger, stir everything together and fry for another 6 minutes, until the chicken is white.
- Stir through the flour and pour in the pineapple chunks, juice and all. Top up the pan with water and drizzle in the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and ketchup. Stir everything together and watch the sauce thicken up beautifully! Bring to the boil and then drop to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through completely. 5 minutes before it’s ready, throw in the mangetout.
- Boil the rice according to packet instructions. When it’s ready, it’s time to serve up! Lay the rice in a bowl and spoon the beautiful sweet and sour chicken on top. This recipe is going to make you smile!